Friday, September 21, 2007

The Rather Rude House of Arthur

This one's from earlier this week.

MORNING OF SEPTEMBER 17, 2007

I was visiting the home of an older lady who was apparently either supposed to be family, or a close friend of my family. She looked quite a lot like Bea Arthur, which was odd to me even in the dream. It was already dark out when I arrived at the house. There was a small group of people already there, all sitting in the living room and just chatting with each other. Most of them were older people, close to “Bea’s” age, though there was one couple that was probably closer to my own age.

At one point I had to excuse myself to the restroom. I soon discovered the restroom had no working lights! The bulbs were apparently shot, and I had no idea where to find replacements. Since there were also no windows in the room, it was simply too dark to go about my business. So I had to just forget it for the moment and return to the living room.

At this point my friend K was suddenly with me, as though she’d been there with me all along. She and I took our seats in the living room and mostly just observed the conversation. We both felt terribly awkward and out of place.

At one point, several of the people in the room began making jokes at our expense and generally mocking us, completely unprovoked! The majority of their derision seemed to be aimed at K. Outwardly she only looked annoyed, but I could tell some of their words were actually hurting her, which was making me really angry.

Finally I got up, said something I can no longer remember to the room at large (which is just as well, as I probably wouldn’t be able to print it here anyway), and told K to come with me outside. She followed.

The two of us were now standing alone outside in the darkened driveway of this home. The only light was from a nearby street lamp. We mutually vented our frustrations about the jerks inside, and before long were laughing very hard at them, totally forgetting our previous frustrations.

We noticed something in the yard near the driveway. It was a remote-controlled car with a plastic Mickey Mouse on top. We assumed it more than likely belonged to the grandchildren of the “Bea Arthur” lady. We began playing with it, making it zip around the driveway. As it drove, the plastic Mickey on top spouted off random sayings (in the Mickey Mouse voice, of course).

This is all I remember.

3 comments:

DICK! said...

Effing AWESOME! I love dreams!

Anonymous said...

The first part sounded like a
John Cusack movie, and the last part
well...like a dream:)

Andrew said...

Thanks for the comments, guys. Brian's observation made me laugh!