Wednesday, January 30, 2008

That Obscurely Funny Early 80's Movie

MORNING OF JANUARY 30, 2008

First I remember being at work, talking to C, a real-life former coworker who doesn't actually work with me anymore. It's been quite some time since I've even talked to him. He was telling me about this really great comedy movie that he counted as one of his all-time favorites. It was made in the early 80's, and he urged me to rent it. His description was so glowing, that I pretty much immediately obtained a copy and took it home to watch it.

Home in this dream was a house instead of my apartment. Katie lived in a house right next door to me, though she doesn't come into the dream until later.

So I watched the movie. It was really, really off-the-wall humor. Along the lines of a "Naked Gun" type movie, but far more obscure and subversive than that. It took me a while to find interest, but suddenly there were these scenes that just had me laughing hysterically. I wouldn't be surprised if I had been laughing in my sleep I was laughing so hard in the dream. I wish I could remember what was happening in the scenes, but I remember very little now.

I only recall vague elements of one scene. There was a guy in a red tank top, sweatbands, and short-shorts (like a jogger from the early 80's or something). He was in a store trying to purchase something, and all these wacky things were going on around him. The manager was giving him a lot of guff and suddenly the guy was on a Roller Racer...

Yes, a ROLLER RACER!

...which I haven't thought of in ages! Not since I as a kid in the actual 80's!

Anyway, he goes clumsily crashing about the store on his Roller Racer, knocking over merchandise, etc. and rolled up to the camera and held up a stack of record albums that all has NASCAR pictures on the covers. I don't know why, but in the dream world this scene was the absolute height of hilarity to me. I was crying I was laughing so hard. Go figure.

Suddenly, I was with my friend D, who I also haven't talked to in some time. I told him about this movie, and that he needed to see it. He said maybe sometime he would, but that right now he needed to just lay down and take a nap before he had to go to work. Why he was doing this in my house was beyond me, but it was really no big deal in my dream.

Then Katie came over and asked me if I wanted to eat some dinner with her. As I said before, she lived in a fictional house next to my fictional house in the dream, so I walked over to her backyard and we ate on a picnic table outside.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

was the picnic table wood?

very nicely told.
how incredible strange
these are fun to read!

Andrew said...

Yes it was wood, and I think it had old, faded/chipped paint of a reddish color, not unlike that of a wooden deck a house I lived in during my teen years had.

DICK! said...

Great dream! I almost laughed out loud and I'm in church...

BTW...
"held up a stack of record albums that all has NASCAR pictures on the covers."... This has to be the greatest English phrasing on the PLANET!

Andrew said...

Ha ha ha...that typo is so appropriate to the subject matter at hand, I don't even think I'm going to fix it.