Thursday, January 31, 2008

Cloverfield-Esque

MORNING OF JANUARY 31, 2008

(Despite this dream's title, it doesn't contain any actual spoilers for the Cloverfield movie.)

I was in a mall, in an area that looked more or less like a food court. There was a big TV screen that was playing movie trailers. They played a trailer for a third Garfield movie that had just come out (I hope and pray this movie is entirely fictional). I've never seen either of the two real life Garfield movies, so I have no idea where this comes from. This movie, however, was animated more like the Saturday morning cartoons used to be, and it heavily featured Garfield's nemesis, Nermal the kitten. Something about the trailer made me actually want to see the movie. And there was a theater in this dream-mall, so I made my way there to go watch it.

On my way to the theater I saw this guy from high school. He's not someone I was friends with at all in high school--in fact, he was a royal jerk. I have no idea what he was doing making a cameo in this dream all these years later. He said he was on his way to see this Garfield movie as well. I hoped he wouldn't try to sit near me.

The two of us were in the theater lobby looking at movie posters when suddenly we heard what sounded like a loud explosion outside. We, along with pretty much everyone else in the mall, rushed out to see what was happening. It was sunset outside, so there was still enough light to see things really well. From the parking lot, we looked down the road that ran in front of the mall and saw the monster from Cloverfield. It was destroying things (as huge monsters will do), and it looked in our direction and released a horrific, ear-splitting roar that seemed to go on forever.

I became so terrified that I actually woke up. Upon realizing it was just a dream I quickly calmed down and was asleep again in no time. At some point after going back to sleep, I remember having a dream that seemed to continue on the basic themes of the one I woke up from...


I was outside in some public/city setting once more, and it was around sunset once again. There was a lot of commotion and panic going on around me, but the Cloverfield monster was nowhere to be seen in this revised dream. I began to run with the general crowd, but was totally confused as to what we were running from, which actually made things feel even scarier.

Then I saw them--Death Eaters led by Lord Voldemort! They were using the three Unforgivable Curses at random on all we fleeing "muggles". They were demanding to know where Harry Potter was, and said they "knew" that we (we being the general public at large, apparently) knew where he was, and someone had better talk.

Then there was Iron Man. He flew in and began fighting Voldemort. (Yes, I know this is Iron Man's second appearance in my dreams in recent history, which is odd since I'm not a big Iron Man fan, but I chalk it up to the publicity for the upcoming movie).

At one point Iron Man ended up grabbing me and flying me away (presumably out of the way of Voldemort, though I can't really remember for sure). He kept going higher and higher and, being scared of heights, I was very nervous. I looked up and could see the moon very clearly. It looked impossibly huge in the sky, but I told myself it must just look bigger when you're actually high up in the air.

But then I noticed I could dimly see whole cities on the moon. They looked just like aerial views of earthly cities! Before I could fully comprehend this, we descended and Iron Man set me down on a sidewalk next to some other people. My dad was there, and I told him, "In the future, there are cities on the moon. I saw them." He told me that wasn't real. And I woke up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what the fuck, Andrew?

hilarious stuff.
my favorite so far-
just because of the complete randomness-

I love the continuation of the
dream- so you were at the mall...
did you see me? I always seem to be there:)

Andrew said...

Yaaay, my dream got an official WTF sticker!

Yeah, mall's seem to be a popular place for me to be in my dreams as well. That and school campuses that aren't necessarily always supposed to be school campuses. (Oddly, both malls and schools are places I seldom frequent in real life).

DICK! said...

I LOVE This dream. My favorite of your dreams!

""In the future, there are cities on the moon. I saw them." He told me that wasn't real." = effing classic.