Monday, February 11, 2008

I'm (dreaming about) Going to Disney World!

MORNING OF FEBRUARY 10, 2008

In reality I haven't been to Disney World in many years, but in my dream Katie and I went there. I only vaguely remember walking around the park, but I know it was very much unlike what it actually is.

My only coherent memory comes from the end of the dream, when Katie was ready to leave the place for the day, but there was one more attraction I wanted to see. I don't know what it was called, but I "remembered" it from the times I had visited in my youth.

The attraction was housed in a huge, white building. Upon entering there was a theater which constantly showed one of the classic Disney animated films (I believe it was showing Snow White at the time). The movie was optional, and we chose to skip it and move on to the other available activity.

Beyond the theater there was a series of corridors like a museum, and on either side of the corridor there were a series of life-size dioramas depicting scenes from classic Disney animation. The dioramas were compiled of a combination of statues and animatronics. Even though this specific setup is entirely fictional, it gave me a great sense of nostalgia to see it "again".

I was snapping pictures of one of the final scenes on display, which happened to be from The Little Mermaid, when I realized something seemed a little off. That's when I noticed that Ariel was not animatronic after all, but an actual human actress in costume. She was splashing around awkwardly in the water, as if attempting to mimic the movements of the other animatronics.

3 comments:

DICK! said...

freaking awesome! The Ariel thing really caught me off my guard. It's very odd picturing that in your head...

Andrew said...

Yeah, that was a surreal scene. Also, for all the actress's awkwardness trying to imitate the animatronics, she was still kinda hot.

Anonymous said...

:)

maybe she was a replicant?
perhaps realizing that her
movements were not robotic enough?

anyway I want to see that corridor!