Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Big Motel Musical *PLUS* Surly Kids Musical

MORNING OF OCTOBER 21, 2008

Several of my friends, including Eric, C., M., and possibly one other and I were staying at a motel. It was a rather old facility, but also quite large, standing several stories high. Our room (or rooms, if that was the case) were located on one of the top floors. One could step out of the room on the concrete, open-air walkways, lean over the rail, and look down amongst all the other levels. At the very bottom level, you could see the old swimming pool in the center.

At one point I remember sitting in the motel room by myself in the afternoon. I had the curtains drawn shut and was sitting in the chair at the little table by the window and air conditioner unit. I heard some of my friends talking outside and peeked through the curtains. They were talking about going somewhere, and I was debating whether or not I should go out there and try to join them.

Then I remember being in the parking lot, but not with my friends, so they must have gone without me. But that's when Michael Scott from The Office approached me. He was giddy with some sort of mischief, and wanted my help.

I reluctantly followed him into the motel room, where he explained to me through restrained laughter that he was supposed to have a date this evening, but he couldn't stand the girl, and he had just figured out a way to get out of it. He was going to call her and tell her he couldn't go on a date because he was at a concert and couldn't leave. He was going to play a CD loudly in the background while he talked, and my job was to make noise as though I was the crowd. This way, he apparently thought, his story would seem more convincing.

I really wanted no part of this stupidity, and yet when he placed the call I made a few half-hearted crowd sounds. He was having so much trouble not giggling at his "cleverness" as he canceled the date over the phone.

Then I remember being back with my real life friends again. We were walking through some public square, having a conversation. Suddenly, it's as if we inadvertently stumbled into some police sting operation. Several officers rushed out and told us to "Move, move, move!!!!" because things were about to go down. They were surrounding a parked car, and ushered us away from it.

We watched from our safe position as a man in jeans and a pink T-shirt exited a nearby building and approached the car. I assumed that must be the suspect in the sting, but then my memory of the dream changes again before anything happens.

My friends and I were walking around the city streets again, talking about the police sting as though it were the distant past. Someone said something that reminded me of a song from the Avenue Q musical, and I started singing it...and suddenly I was joined by random passers-by, until everyone the city block wide were happily singing the song. Just like some corny musical movie!

This, naturally, is when I woke up.

SECOND DREAM:

I was having to film an interview with a former football player for work (an entirely fictional situation). The interview was filmed at his home, and after the interview he told me he'd take me out to get some footage of "the stadium". It turns out there was an entire football stadium built on to his house. (I'm not a sports fan. For even this little bit of sports to make it into my dream makes no sense to me.)

I was anxious to be done and get home, but the guy told me to wait while he turned on all the stadium lights. Then my bosses were there, and they ended up in conversation with the guy, and I was left waiting, growing increasingly anxious.

I eventually began wandering through the house. Then the scene changed to where it was more like I was inside a public venue of some sort. I found a stairwell, the door to which had a sign that explained that practice for "the children's play" was being held upstairs. I went up the stairs.

There, as promised, was a room where several children were in practice for a musical play. I sat and observed them for a while as the adult director instructed them in their parts. I was surprised and even a little disturbed that many of the kids were rather surly and uncooperative...almost malicious.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

heh....kids.
what are going to do?

impromptu musical- strange