Sunday, October 26, 2008

Largely Inspired By Peanuts

MORNING OF OCTOBER 26, 2008

Last night in real life I attended the Halloween party of the movie group some friends and I are members of. In my dream, most of the group were together again, still in costumes, only instead of the party we were at some sort of movie festival.

As were were preparing to enter one of the venues to see a movie, I saw a T-shirt stand and stopped to look them over. Some of the designs were very straightforward, bearing the logo of whatever festival this was. Others were really weird and unusual designs. One of the designs incorporated the Peanuts characters, and I, naturally, was drawn to it.

As I was looking at this, the dream sort of changed to where I was looking at the comics section in a newspaper. While I can no longer remember the specifics in the waking world, I was actually reading and comprehending several of the strips in the dream (real strips, in the order they appear in the local paper...Beetle Bailey,
Blondie etc.) My parents were in the same room, occasionally speaking to me as I tried to read.

Then I noticed a flyer insert in the paper. It was printed on red paper, and when I examined it I realized it was a portion of a novel as supposedly written by Snoopy. Anyone who's familiar at all with Peanuts will know Snoopy regularly tried to be a writer, usually beginning with the line, "It was a dark and stormy night...", and never getting much further. Well, the thing I was reading was supposed to show what would have happened if he'd ever finished a story. Reading it is the last thing I remember.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

t-shirts again:)

(in real life)
do you sell t-shirts?
or are thinking about selling them?

Was Charles Schulz wearing a feathered
jacket in this one? perhaps like Woodstock:)

Andrew said...

Yeah, those T-shirts turn up all the time!

I don't sell or think about selling T-shirts. But I own several of them, and I really like cool T-shirts. So that's probably it...though, despite liking them, I don't spend enough time consciously thinking of them to justify so many appearances in my dreams!

Ha ha...Schulz in a feather jacket...yes...he could keep good company with Mister Rogers. Two dead childhood icons of mine...