Sunday, August 2, 2009

A Beautiful Flight

MORNING OF AUGUST 1, 2009

I remember being in a car with a parents and one of our family friends. I had an old cassette Walkman with me, and was listening to some song I'd never heard before, but I really liked it. At one point I remember passing a scenic lake, and there were were traces of snow and melting ice all around it. I thought that was weird for summer.

They eventually dropped me off at my own car, and when I got in I realized I had no cassette player, so I couldn't continue to listen to that song I'd been enjoying, which was a minor annoyance.

I remember being at work later, and I was doodling things on a notepad. Then I was talking to my cousin Stephen about them. As I talked, we were now hiking through this very beautiful nature area which looked not unlike the lake I'd seen a little bit earlier.

I saw what I believed to be a hawk flying overhead. It began to swoop down lower, and I began to realize it was much larger than I had originally assumed. Indeed, what turned out to be a purple eagle about the size of a delivery truck soon landed gracefully at the edge of the lake nearby. I'm actually uncertain if it was purely a giant eagle, or if it might have been some sort of griffin or hippogriff type creature. Either way, I was in total awe of it.

I cautiously approached the beast, and it allowed me to crawl onto its back. Then it spread its wings and took to the air again. I can vividly feel the sensation of my hands sinking into its layers of soft feathers, holding tightly as we flew all around. It was an exhillerating experience--I wasn't even afraid of the height, as I would be in real life.

Sadly, I can't remember anything after this point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

magical!