Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Tim Burton-y Play

MORNING OF AUGUST 5, 2009

I was going to attend some local production of a play, I think supposedly in the nearby city of Birmingham. For some reason an ex girlfriend was in the car with me (there was no specific emotion attached to this, negative or positive), and we were driving out of the neighborhood I lived in during my teenage years.

I had Regina Spektor's latest CD, Far, playing in the car (it's a CD that's been in regular rotation since it's release a few weeks ago). The songs in the dream were not real ones, except for I do recall hearing part of "Man of a Thousand Faces". My ex had not heard the CD and I was trying to play her the tracks I liked best.

We arrived at the venue for the play and we were a little bit late, as it had just started. I don't remember my ex being in the dream anymore at this point, but several of my friends and some of my family members were there. My dad was an usher, and he said it was good I could make it and took me to my seat, which was among other family members.

Also, it's worth noting, that Colin Powell (?!?!) was standing near the area where the ushers were! As random as this is, it was only a detail I noticed in passing.

The play in the dream was very much like a local production of "Sweeney Todd" some friends and I saw earlier this year. At one point I realized that Johnny Depp was actually playing the lead role in this play! And all at once it was no longer a typcial play, but we were all privy to a live prodcution of Tim Burton's latest movie (I don't know that it was supposed to be the actual Alice in Wonderland movie that's coming next year, but it was his "next movie" in the dream).

Then I remember leaving the play, or perhaps it was intermission or something. I spoke to my dad again. He felt obliged to tell me that Colin Powell had called me a nerd! (I'm laughing out loud as I recall this). I asked why, and he explained it was because I was wearing a Batman tie. I looked down and noticed for the first time that I was.

Then my dad and I discussed the production we'd just see so far, our likes and our dislikes. I told him a movie of it was coming out soon, and that I had the soundtrack, explaining that we'd listened to it in the car on the way here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

strange.

So, do you own a batman tie?

Andrew said...

I do not own a Batman tie. (But I am a nerd).