Monday, November 21, 2011

Dave's Anti-Pizza Campaign

MORNING OF NOVEMBER 21, 2011

I was in a crowded auditorium at some sort of conference. A speaker was announcing the winners of "last year's Create a Commercial contest". It turns out the winners were my friends and I.

Apparently we had conceived the winning idea the year before, and in the months since, a professional commercial had actually been produced from it. They debuted this commercial on a large screen on the stage.

The commercial featured Dave Thomas, founder of the Wend'ys restaurant chain, much as their ads really did when he was still alive. He was holding up a slice of pizza with a look of disgust and asking, "Why would anyone ever want to eat more than one piece of pizza? You'll want to eat more than one of our burgers!" My friend Eric and I, huge pizza enthusiasts, feigned incense when we heard him make this proclamation.

After the commercial was over, I remember a general sense of confusion as to how Dave Thomas, long dead, had appeared in this new ad. It didn't look like computer graphics, but we assumed surely it must be. The earlier suggestion that we had written the idea for all of this ourselves no longer seemed to play a part.

I vaguely recall another dream. A couple of friends and I were preparing to leave a They Might Be Giants concert late one night (I have no memory of the actual show in the dream). My car was one of the last ones in the parking lot outside the club they had apparently performed at. We were just sitting in it, not going anywhere for some reason.

Then we saw the band members step out of the club. They just stood on the sidewalk talking in the lamplight. At one point John Linnell approached our car and just nonchalantly got in the back seat. We then conducted a brief interview with him, as if for some sort of print publication. He then stepped out of the car and rejoined his band mates on the sidewalk. Even in the dream it felt rather bizarre.

No comments: