Thursday, August 14, 2008

Dirty Broom

MORNING OF AUGUST 14, 2008

I was at work and my boss told me whenever I had a minute I needed to go to the storage area and clean one of our brooms. I thought this was a very unusual request, but I did as was asked. The broom had a red handle, and the brush part of it was completely caked up with dirt, to the point that it looked more like a stick with a dirt clod on the end of it.

I took the dirty broom outside, where there was a driveway just like you'd find at someone's home. Another employee was washing his own truck in this driveway, and we spoke as I came by with the broom. I began beating it against the pavement, shattering the dirt clod into shards. It was almost fun.

There was a brick wall beside the driveway nearly as tall as I, with a chain link fence running along the top of it. This wall/fence combo contained a grouping of metal bleachers. In the distance behind all of this, you could see a college campus.

A pretty, blonde girl dressed in a Victorian era dress was pacing back and forth between these bleachers. She was reading to herself from a piece of paper in an English accent. I was somehow instantly smitten with this image, and dropped everything to watch her intently.

Suddenly the girl was no longer Victorian, but was dressed as Alice from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. This change was not thought strange in the dream, as I simply assumed I'd seen her wrong the first time. Then, just as suddenly, the girl was now brunette and was dressed as Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz. Only it was kind of a sexied-up Dorothy costume. No matter her appearance, the girl was always reading aloud from her paper while pacing.

By now I realized she was an actress, preparing for her role in a play the college would be putting on. I went to see the play with some friend (I can't remember who).

The opening of the play featured a little boy dressed as the White Rabbit (we're back on Alice in Wonderland stuff now). Before the boy took the stage, the director stopped and told the audience the boy had won the role because he could do "the voice" so well. The boy began talking in some weird, cartoony voice. I thought, "I can do that voice...maybe I should be doing this instead of him!"

Then the boy morphed into a cartoon character that looked somewhat like Mickey Mouse, and by this point...alarm clock.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a plastic thing the mind is...
fun!

sounds like it was a nice dream to experience

have you seen the "Tin Man" with Zooey Deschanel?

Andrew said...

Yeah, dreams do nothing if not convey the plasticity of the mind.

No I haven't, seen "Tin Man", but I was actually kind of curious about it. Is it any good?