Monday, May 12, 2008

Ant Live With 'Em, Ant Live Without 'Em

MORNING OF MAY 11, 2008

In real life, the kitchen in my apartment seems to be invaded by ants for a brief period during each summer. Usually it's late summer, but now that the weather's getting warmer I already find myself dreading in the back of my mind my inevitable, annual visit. So that plays into the following dream:

I was living in an apartment that was for the most part like my actual one, only I had two roommates who both happened to be African American. I came home one day and one of them informed me that the ants were in the kitchen again. He was in the process of laying out some poison bait for them. I was astounded to see it wasn't just the usual little trail of them, but massive numbers of them marching up and down every wall in the kitchen.

I meant to help the roommate with the poison, but for some reason I had to go to the mailbox first. At the mailbox I saw a girl I used to know some time ago. She began telling me how she and some of her friends had tried to break the world record for engaging in some certain type of aerobic exercise for the longest time, and with the largest group of people.

She took out a newspaper and showed me a story that had been done about it, and several black and white photographs that had been taken at the event. You could see dozens of people, mostly girls but a few men, wearing leotards and other forms of stereotypical workout gear. She had circled one barely visible person in the background of a picture with a Sharpie. She informed me that was her, and it was the only picture she was in.

After this conversation, I returned to my apartment. I took out a can of bug spray, and began spraying all the trails of ants along the walls.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

was this the night you were working
on the exercise illustration of Jenn and Bueno?

I like this one.

Andrew said...

Actually I had done most of the Jenn & Bueno exercise art a few nights before this. I did end up finishing that art the afternoon following this though.