Friday, May 30, 2008

This American Sling Blade Castle

MORNING OF MAY 30, 2008

First off, I wanted to see an episode of the This American Life TV show specifically because of the story that was going to be on it. (The topic of the story is lost to me now.) In real life I've never even seen the TV show, I'm only familiar with the radio version. But in the dream I was preparing to watch an episode.

Then I remember being in the driveway of some house talking to my dad, and both my uncles from my mom's side of the family. We were discussing the movie Sling Blade. Someone mentioned that a local theater was going to be showing it soon, and we all decided to attend. It seems as soon as we made the decision, we were conveniently there.

The theater looked like a medieval castle in every way. Someone had converted one of the rooms into a fairly modern-looking, if a bit dilapidated, theater. We were nearly the only people in the theater as we sat waiting for the show to begin.

For some reason I left my seat at this point--perhaps to use the restroom or to go get concessions. I remember wandering through the many corridors and staircases of the castle, trying to find whatever it was I had gone for. I passed a lot of strange characters on my way.

One huge, bolted doorway had two identical, ominous guards in front of it. They stood probably about seven feet tall and stood back to back holding battle axes of some kind. All of their features were obscured by the elaborate armor and clothing they were wearing, but I distinctly felt they were not human (they reminded me vaguely of Jim Henson creatures, and would not have looked out of place in The Dark Crystal or some such, only they were undeniably real). I gave them a wide berth and passed as quickly as I could. They made no movement, but I knew I was watched.

Then I came into a large, open area of the castle that was decorated like some sort of lobby. A smallish, dwarf-like person ran up to me. She was wearing medieval clothing and had a shaved head. Her face reminded me of someone I once worked with. This dwarf character was very jovial and energetic, and yet I seemed to feel only discomfort and menace in her presence (a feeling entirely connected to this character and not to the old coworker whose face I was reminded of).

Alarm goes off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if- (in dreams) all the wandering around in empty places
might just be the brain reloaded for
the next image?

this one is really cool.
you should buy a castle and convert
it into a theater!

Anonymous said...

sorry "reloading"

Andrew said...

That's a very plausible theory for the periods of wandering in dreams.

And if I'm gonna buy that castle I guess I'd better start saving now...anyone need several thousand cartoon commissions?