Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Wonderfully Subdued Report

MORNING OF JUNE 17, 2009

I was in a room much larger than my actual living room, but my TV and furniture were there, among many other items, possibly even my bed. I had a lot of art supplies strewn about and was drawing in the floor while watching TV.

The art I was working on featured my regular characters Jenn & Bueno (with a guest appearance by the not-so-regular, Heidi) and it was very similar to one I'm actually working on at this time. In the dream I had run out of room on the page for Jenn and Heidi's heads, so I had just taped on an extra scrap of paper and drawn their heads on that. This might have been fine if I had planned to scan it and finish it digitally, but I went on to color the actual art with colored pencils and markers (something I very seldom do), never minding that it consisted of two taped-together pieces of paper.

As I worked I was watching what seemed to be a either a Simpsons movie, or else several episodes of the show tied together in one storyline. I remember one specific part where Kent Brockman was reporting the news, and an anchor was giving a report from the field about how aliens (or something) were attacking Springfield, and at least 25,000 were dead, and there was mass panic.

At the end of the report, the reporter was killed by one of the "aliens" and the last thing you heard was his screams (all done i a very Simpson-y, darkly humorous way). The camera returned to Kent Brockman in the studio, and, in his usual deadpan manner, he said, "Thank you (reporter's name) for that wonderfully subdued report."

I laughed really hard at that for some reason.

No comments: