Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Rescue 911

MORNING OF OCTOBER 21, 2009

I was driving out of my apartment complex and I saw that an ex-girlfriend was driving in front of me. After going down a couple of roads we were suddenly driving through the neighborhood I lived in as a teenager. We came to a four-way stop, and while waiting there I noticed her slump over in her seat and her car coasted across the intersection and ended up stopped on the shoulder of the opposite road.

Feeling sort of panicked and uncertain, I pulled my car over and dialed 911 without ever going to her car to check on her. I vaguely remember speaking to the operator about what had just happened, and trying to explain to her where we were. I kept telling her the names of the intersecting streets were were at, but for some reason she was having trouble comprehending me.

Finally, it was fairly late at night and I was back at my apartment complex. I was standing out in the parking area, dressed in my casual around-the-house T-shirt and such. A young man who had been sent by 911was there, asking me more questions about my call. I was baffled as to why it was such a big deal, and why they couldn't just send help to where you were when you first called.

The man had me fill out a bunch of papers on a clipboard, after which I tried to get him to just leave. He proved difficult to get rid of, but finally he seemed satisfied enough to go on his way. I went back into my apartment. The TV was on in the background, and it was playing some really strange movie with Jim Carrey in it. I remember thinking his hairstyle in the movie looked like the hair of John Linnell from They Might Be Giants.

No comments: