Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Michael Jackson Concert

MORNING OF MAY 20, 2012

I found a stash of family photos that were taken at a Michael Jackson concert sometime in the 80's. I never actually went to one. I would have been just a kid and my parents wouldn't have taken me in the first place. Even in the dream I was shocked to see them, because I "didn't remember" that my parents had taken me.

Judging by the not-very-good pictures, we had been way up in the nosebleed seats, because the stage was a faraway object with little specs of people on it. You could tell one of them apparently was wearing a bright red jacket, though.

Suddenly the dream changed to where I was actually sitting in the nosebleed seats at the actual concert! I only have vague memories of it, as it seemed to be over pretty soon. Filing through the lines of people after the show, I got word that Michael would be doing a meet-and-greet for a certain number of people. I decided to just follow the crowd over to the backstage area where this was supposed to happen.

As we waited in line for the meet-and-greet, it occurred to me that Michael Jackson was dead. This whole concert, and most certainly the meet-and-greet, were impossibilities. Then the line advanced and I could see the stage. There was a table spread with Micheal's former belongings. The table was surrounded by several large, bodyguard-type men wearing dark, hooded robes like monks.

These "monks" were using a special pen to sign items in MJ's name, then they'd hand them to a fan. It was very surreal.

The next thing I remember, I'm out of line and wandering around outside, though I can still see several lines formed in different areas. It all looked like a high school campus from the outside. I ran into my friend Julie from improv class and we spoke for a moment. then I think I got in another line and just stood there.

The weirdest thing about this dream is that at no point have I ever been any particular sort of Michael Jackson fan.

No comments: