Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Jellyfish Has Mile-Long Tentacles!

MORNING OF SEPTEMBER 21, 2010

I was at my grandmother's house for a family get-together. It seemed like probably Thanksgiving or Christmas. The TV was on in one room, and some cable network was showing an all-day marathon of a classic 80's cartoon.

The cartoon was fictional, but it was supposedly one I had loved as a kid. It featured little elf-like creatures, not unlike Smurfs, though they were normal flesh tones instead of blue. They lived next to the sea, and their greatest enemy was a giant jellyfish who wanted to wipe out their town.

I recall watching a specific episode in which the tiny elf creatures were in their tiny submarines waging war with the jellyfish. The cartoon ceased to be whimsical and started to feel really intense during this battle.

I left the room for a moment and it was as if I was standing in line at a cafeteria. I saw a girl I used to know, and I talked to her about the show I was watching. But then the cafeteria was my grandmother's kitchen. Someone was standing by the counter and I explained to him what dire peril the elf-people were in. "The jellyfish is huge--it's tentacles are each a mile long," I told him.

The man explained how "we" (I guess he was one of the elf-people, even though he was normal size?) had slowly worn the jellyfish down, so that it was not at full strength. He was confident it would be beaten.

My last memory is sitting in the floor putting away a bunch of Legos. Apparently the whole adventure had really just been constructed out of these building blocks. There were Lego people resembling many of the major characters.

No comments: