Thursday, March 24, 2011

Jesus!

MORNING OF MARCH 24, 2011

A new movie had just come out, directed by and starring Ricky Gervais, and titled, Jesus!. Some friends and I went to see this film one night, only now it was a play instead, though it still starred Mr. Gervais.

The venue looked similar to a small venue where I often go to see actual local theater.
The small audience sat in folding chairs lined up in front of a stage. When the play began, for some reason, I chose to sit on the edge of the actual stage to watch it. It was a great seat, but I suddenly realized I should probably go sit with the rest of the audience, lest I block someone's view, so I did.

Somehow plush bears factored into the play. They looked like a cross between "Lotso Huggin' Bear" from Toy Story 3 and Care Bears. I was holding one at one point, and I think I'd accidentally carried it with me from when I'd been sitting on the stage.

At one point, former child star Gary Coleman came and sat down near me. It never entered into my mind that he's actually dead now. He climbed up on the stage and played on a piano while singing (I'm sure his appearance in this play stems from the use of a Gary Coleman in the actual play, "Avenue Q").

Suddenly, but without notice, things changed so that it was more like we were watching a movie in a theater as opposed to a live play. There was a scene where the characters went to Disney World. My mom, who was now apparently in the theater with my friends and I, asked me how they could get away with showing Disney World in this movie. I told her because this was a Disney movie.

The next scene in the movie took place at a wrestling event, like WWE or something. One of the wrestlers was named Jesus, and this was the supposed twist of the movie. And from here the movie evolved into some sort of sci-fi action thriller that looked a little like Tron: Legacy.

My next memory comes after the movie. I was sitting at work with my friend Richard (who doesn't work with me) and one of my actual coworkers. We were discussing our likes and dislike about the movie. We generally agreed that it was "okay".

And then I was walking in to my parents house for a visit. My mom was cooking supper, which was huge chunks of what looked like roast beef, each skewered to a giant, softball-sized shrimp. She said they were easy to cook because you just take them out of the packet, skewer them, and cook them.

They actually did look pretty good!
Around this time my dad got home, obviously just returning from some sort of lengthy trip. He told me he couldn't believe I'd go see a movie called Jesus! when I don't ever even go to church.

No comments: