Monday, August 8, 2011

Fireworks at the Church

MORNING OF AUGUST 8, 2011

I was at home, which in the case of this dream was a fictional apartment. It was almost bedtime when I got a phone call from an old lady telling me to turn on my TV. There was a patriotic special (sort of like an Independence Day thing) being hosted by Comedy Central's Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert and this lady, whoever she was, really wanted me to see it.

I vaguely recall watching the show, which was very funny, though I can't recall specifics anymore. All the while I stayed on the line with the mystery woman who would tell me related anecdotes as we watched. At one point she began to tell me how they celebrated the Fourth of July at her church. As she told me the story, the dream shifted so that suddenly I was actually there with her in her church as they celebrated.

The old lady and I were seated on a pew near the front of the medium-sized sanctuary. On the pulpit before us was a very small device which was emitting a very small indoor fireworks show. Oddly, it had all of the colors and types of explosions you'd expect to see in a major professional fireworks display, but all on a small enough scale to fit on this church's small pulpit. It was also visible on video screens posted from the ceiling. There was no sense of danger from this all being indoors, it was just "cool" that it was such a unique presentation.

After the fireworks, everyone in the church was dismissed. As we were standing to leave, I heard shouting in the back. Some fat, middle aged man in a sport coat and glasses was yelling and screaming "praise the Lord!!!" and such. The old lady told me to pay him no attention--"That's just so-and-so, and sometimes he gets this way".

As we made our way to exit, we passed the screaming fat man as he was getting up in people's faces warning them about the coming of the Lord and such. He was more than a little crazy. My last memory is seeing some ushers sneaking in to take care of the disturbance.

No comments: