Sunday, July 20, 2008

Baby Elephant Walk

MORNING OF JULY 19, 2008

I rode with my aunt, uncle and cousin to my grandmother's house, but it was like when we were kids. I remember being alone in the living room...with a young elephant. It was bigger than a mere baby--big enough to take up a significant amount of the room--but very obviously not full size.

The elephant approached me and I cautiously tried to pet it. It was very enthusiastic, like a dog, and because of it's size I had to back away from it as it tried tried to sidle up next to me. I backed up onto the couch so that I was actually perched on the back of it with my feet on the arm as the elephant came up beside me. From this angle I could easily pat the top of it's head. I vividly remember the texture of the skin and hairs. The elephant was so friendly, and kept trying to "kiss" my face with its trunk like a dog trying to lick you. I thought it was so cool to be interacting with a real elephant that it never occurred to me to wonder what an elephant was doing here--and inside the house of all places.

Then I remember I was in a room and there were a pile of women's clothes on the floor. It's as though a woman wearing the outfit in question had just suddenly disappeared and the clothes had all dropped to the floor in a heap. There was a professional-looking business skirt and blouse combo, a pair of heels, a purse, and some glasses. I was searching the items with a purpose to find something. There was literally no sexual connotation to this dream--there was some far more serious reason why I had to search these items, as though I'd find some type of information that had to be found as soon as possible, or else. I was racing against the clock.

I was watching an animated Winnie the Pooh movie. It was supposed to be the actual Disney Pooh movie from the 70's, but it was totally fictional. In the scene I remember, Christopher Robin was having to wash Pooh and Rabbit off in a tub of water because they'd gotten into something. But since they're really just stuffed animals, they began to shrink and were calling for him to help them as they did. It was really kind of disturbing!

Finally, I remember being at my apartment in my "studio" room with the art stuff and computer, etc. It was a cloudy day outside. My light bulb shot, so I had to replace it. Then I got online and was typing an e-mail to one of my friends in Yahoo mail. As I typed the e-mail, I could actually see her animated in a banner ad at the top of the screen. We were "chatting" by means of animated banner ads...odd.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow.
the clothes thing- might have something to do with reference material- looking at fashions and whatnot?

the Winnie the Pooh movie is really
strange. The banner ads reminds me of myspace; mostly incoherent with lots of flashing

Andrew said...

Hrm...hadn't thought of the reference material thing. That could be it. Haven't researched those type of clothes lately, but could just be from regularly having to research in general. (I was doing a lot of Batman costume research for the J&B Batman spoof art around this time, so maybe that's indeed it.)