Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Rainbow Wall Cloud

MORNING OF JUNE 29, 2008

I was on some sort of large boat or ship with many people. It wasn't a cruise ship, but perhaps was some kind of riverboat or other touristy-type vessel. My first memory is of the boat docking and all of us exiting. The boat didn't quite come all the way up to the dock, so we each had to jump about a foot or so to reach it.

She ship's captain was one of the last to leave. He was a slender, middle-aged black man with a gray beard, wearing a white captain's uniform. He was on the uppermost level of the ship, and he called out for everyone to watch him, as he was going to jump down to the lower level instead of taking the stairs. He jumped, and there was a sickening crack as one of his legs very visibly snapped when he landed on the deck below. You could hear many gasps and a few screams.

Some medical personal came to take care of the man, who was OK besides his leg. My friends and I began to walk around the streets of the tiny, quaint little town the boat had landed us in.

I remember there were constantly so many beautiful and unusual cloud formations in the sky. (That is probably because this week in real life I have seen some phenomenally beautiful skies). I was cursing myself for not having my real camera, but I tried to take cell phone pictures of the prettiest formations.

Suddenly, the wind began to pick up and it was obvious a storm was rolling in. All of the people who had come in on the ship began to head back to it (as though it would be the safer place to be if a bad storm was coming...).

I looked up and suddenly noticed a huge black formation that I thought was a tornado, but then I determined it was just an ominous wall cloud. There was a rainbow stretching across the sky, and it went through the wall cloud, so that it was intermittently visible behind parts of the cloud. This was such a simultaneously eerie and beautiful sight, I just had to get a picture. I couldn't get my cell phone camera to cooperate for some reason, and by the the time it was ready to snap a shot, the rainbow had faded.

Back on the ship, I went into a cabin below deck. My cousin was there playing a video game. We both began to play it, and that's about all I remember.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice retelling.
it was easy to picture it- while reading

that poor captain:(