Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Nintendo Attraction

MORNING OF JULY 30, 2008

I was visiting a large city. It looked fairly New York-ish. There was a huge building in the city that was dedicated to Nintendo games throughout the console's history. It claimed to be something like "Nintendo City"...basically a theme park and museum within a single skyscraper. I'm an extremely passive and sporadic video game player at best, so I'm not sure what in the world inspired this theme in a dream.

A couple of friends were with me inside. One of them I think was Richard, and the other I know was fictional. We were playing a real-time video game, where we actually had to physically compete against each other to win. At one point I locked the fictional friend in a room in order to keep him scoring more points and he was shouting about that being "unfair".

Then I went into this large atrium where the scores of everyone currently participating in games were kept on large screens. I saw my opponent's score rapidly drop and mine rapidly rise--but in the end he still won by a single point.

Then I rode an escalator to a lower floor. I was observing the myriad of Nintendo-themed attractions around me...I can't really see them specifically enough in the waking world to describe them all.

Eventually I came to a gift shop, and this is where the Nintendo-themed stuff sort of faded out of the dream. I saw a shelf with high-end, collectible action figures based on the Who Framed Roger Rabbit movie. Each depicted a scene supposedly from the movie, and they were magnificently sculpted.

One figure depicted the entirely fictional scene of Roger being strapped to an electric chair. He was obviously in a panic. Droopy, wearing his trademark sad-sack expression, was standing beside the chair, ready to pull the switch. The manacles which held Roger to the chair were much wider than his arms so that he could have easily slipped out.

(Even though this scene is not a real one, I can easily picture it. Droopy pulls the switch, Roger is getting wildly electrocuted, and Droopy turns to the camera to say, in his monotone delivery, "Shocking, isn't it?")

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

life in the 20th-21st century
I guess

I kept picturing a laser tag arena
or something from "The Wizard" movie

sounds cool