Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Garfield Commission

MORNING OF JANUARY 13, 2009

I had been commissioned to do a short Garfield comic for some magazine. It wasn't in strip style, but was a complete sequential story. I wasn't required to draw everything "on-model", so I infused it with my own style a bit (though, as tends to happen when I try to draw other people's characters, I had a hard time breaking very far from the on-model look). And for whatever background reference is relevant here, I was a huge Garfield fan as a kid growing up. These days I just see it in the paper along with the other comics whenever I read them.

Anyway, all my memories from the dream are vague. I sort of remember sitting at my desk drawing the comic, only it was the desk I drew at as a teenager. Then my strongest memory is receiving a copy of the magazine that included the finished comic in the mail. I was fairly happy with the way it turned out.

No comments: