Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Q Outdoors

MORNING OF JANUARY 27, 2009

I can vaguely recall that some friends and I were going to see the Broadway musical/comedy, Avenue Q (which I have had the good fortune of catching a couple of times in real life, and the group of friends from this dream are the same ones with whom I most recently attended). The play was being performed at some kind of outdoor amphitheater beside a large lake in the woods. The location was a short trip out of town, so we had to make plans to leave a little early.

Just before leaving, C. contacted me and said she'd be late leaving. All of the other people in our group would be riding with her, so I should go on without them. I was disappointed that we couldn't go together, but I did go on ahead in hopes of saving us seats.

I have dim memories of sitting outside on the grass (there seemed to be no official seats for this event), watching the production take place just by the water. There was a full moon in the clear sky, and the temperature was mild and pleasurable. It was a very unique and beautiful experience seeing this play seemingly in the middle of nowhere, but I couldn't fully enjoy it because my friends weren't there yet, even after it had begun.

Then I began to see lightning in the sky and the wind picked up as an unexpected storm was rolling in. The play had to end early and abruptly, and all of the people in the crowd rushed back to their cars in the parking lot just as it began to rain.

In the parking lot I was suddenly with my dad, as though we'd come together. I rightly couldn't imagine him going to see Avenue Q.

No comments: