Wednesday, January 28, 2009

No Sign of a Sign

MORNING OF JANUARY 28, 2009

I was at work, and there was some event in which an incorrect street name had been used by someone or some group concerning our business address (I can't remember what it was). Rather than correcting the mistaken party, my boss suggested we create a street sign featuring the mistaken name they used and install it next to the actual street sign. This way, when this guest looked for our location, they would not be confused.

Though I protested this idea both because it made no sense and because I had no idea how to create and install a street sign to begin with, I was sent to buy the supplies. I went to the nearby Lowe's (for anyone reading this in a region that might not have a Lowe's, it's just a giant hardware/home improvement store). I was looking everywhere for street signs and having no luck finding them.

I eventually managed to locate the metal posts such as would hold the sign up, and was thereafter lugging one around the store with me. I was actively wondering what the chances were they'd have a sign with the name I was looking for on it even if I did find any at all. Of course I desperately hoped I'd be unsuccessful in finding anything, because I was dreading the logistics of trying to install this thing.

Then the dream began to take a different direction as I began thinking in my head about a movie I had recently seen, and wanted to watch again on DVD when I got home. This totally fictional movie was an epic adventure/comedy that tried to capture the feel of adventure/comedies from the 80's. In fact, the movie was a crossover, featuring a team-up of several popular characters from other movies!

I specifically remember a scene in my mind in which Indiana Jones was leading a group of characters as they fled from some alien creature. They ended up at the edge of a winding road in the middle of nowhere, when suddenly a DeLorean--nay--The DeLorean pulled up and screeched to a halt. Doc Brown stepped out and greeted Indiana Jones. This is when I woke up with the alarm.

No comments: