Friday, February 13, 2009

If Only The Second Trailer Were Real...

MORNING OF FEBRUARY 13, 2009

I was in a theater watching trailers before a movie. The first trailer for for a Nite Owl movie based on the character from the Watchmen comic and actual upcoming movie. I couldn't believe that they, #1, would debase that work by writing new solo stories, and, #2, would already be promoting one of them before the Watchmen movie itself even came out!

The second trailer was for a new Batman animated movie! The style was in the tradition of the Bruce Timm/animated series designs, but the animation was on the level of classic Disney cartoons. I was so unbelievably excited to see this!

The one scene I remember from the trailer featured Harley Quinn having broken into Wayne Manor late at night. She had somehow managed to sneak into Bruce Wayne's bedroom without waking him up (like he ever sleeps at night--and like you could sneak up on him like that even if he did). She called Poison Ivy on her cell phone, hatching some sort of evil scheme.

Later (or possibly in a different dream), I walked into what looked like a video rental store. They had a seedy back room, like you think would be reserved for adult material, but it instead was just reserved for geeky material--it basically looked like a comic shop, except with a focus on movies and action figures instead of comics.

The walls in this room were literally covered in unframed movie posters (and other related items), old and new. I noticed one poster for the recent movie, The Wrestler, but all the designs on the poster were CG animation instead of real actors. There was a blurb on it that explained how the movie was originally supposed to be CG animated, but they decided Mickey Rourke looked enough like a cartoon to do it live action.

Then I looked at action figures. Most of them were anime related, and I didn't recognize any of the characters. I did notice a series of figures featuring Faye Valentine from Cowboy Bebop series. Each figure was an entire sculpted scene of her in some sort of highly comedic peril.

There was some random nerdy guy perusing these figures as well, and he was really worked up about finding a particular variant Faye Valentine figure or something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose this is a typical dream for a cartoonist? The way a farmer sees tomatos in his dreams, a driver sees cars, my mother sees my old boyfriends etc.

Andrew said...

Ha ha...yeah, a typical dream for a cartoonist or a typical dream for a geek...since I qualify as either! :)

Anonymous said...

Mickey Rourke looked close enough to a cartoon...haha

nice bits of random/dream stuff
I had almost forgotten about Cowboy Bebop