Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Real Burl Ives Snowman

MORNING OF FEBRUARY 4, 2009

Okay, most people are probably familiar with the Burl Ives snowman character from the old Rudolph animated TV special, right?

Photobucket

Well, in my dream there was a man who looked and sounded very much like this character. I don't mean the man in the dream was simply the real Burl Ives, but his body and head were actually almost spherical like a snowman, with regular arms and legs coming out from the sphere. The skin was very pale. He wore similar clothing (except, unlike the snowman, he thankfully did have pants, etc.).*

The Burl Ives-ish man was very jolly and good-natured, but he was also very old and you could tell he didn't get along very well anymore. I have vague memories of spending some amount of time with this character in the dream, and I was fond of him, even though his unusual snowman-like form sort of freaked me out.

Toward the end of the dream I saw him on TV hosting some sort of low budget awards show. Many of the guests on the show were poking fun at the man, having laughs at his expense. I felt really sorry for him.

Then I was talking to my mom about it having seen it, because I remembered we apparently used to know the guy, and she told me he'd died not long ago.

*I think the explanation for the character in the dream comes from the fact that, at bedtime, I finished reading Ozma of Oz by L. Frank Baum. The illustrations of the Nome King in that book feature a very round, whimsical creature with facial hair. I made no conscious connection between that evil character and the jolly, beloved Burl Ives character, but apparently my subconscious found something to work with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice and weird.

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I dont't know this character (I don't think this program was ever shown here in Greece but I'm not sure) but it reminds me some of my dreams, where something good and familiar turns to something unknown, or problematic.