Friday, February 6, 2009

To Catch A Creep

MORNING OF FEBRUARY 6, 2009

Sorry this one is so long. I couldn't figure out how to explain it briefly.

I was somehow in partnership with an attractive redhead of probably about my age. In hindsight, the whole dream to me feels like an episode of The X-Files, and I believe this lady and I related to one another in a Mulder/Scully sort of way. Although
I think she looked more like a sort of mixture of Kate Winslet and Amy Adams (which is not surprising coming from me) than like Gillian Anderson.

Basically the girl was in danger from a very stalker/sociopath type of man. He was in his 40's, big and stocky, balding. We also had reason to believe he was a bit mentally disabled. In discussing it with the police/FBI, we came up with a plan to catch him before he could successfully harm her (or anyone else). I feel like we may have been cops or FBI ourselves, but I really can't remember that specifically.

The brilliant plan we hatched was that I, as her partner, would stay with her in her house that night. The lunatic presumably would come around, not knowing I was there, and I'd apprehend or kill him, calling for backup etc.

So we slept in the same bed, and instead of staying vigilantly awake waiting for this nut (or doing other things), we both went promptly to sleep. I remember waking up to the sound of soft music and I looked over at the girl. She was still asleep, but someone had put a little stereo beside the bed playing a soft, romantic tune. They had also put flower petals all around her pillow. The lunatic had been in the room right here with us while we slept! And he was probably still in the house!

I leapt out of the bed and peered through the door down the hall. I noticed the villain was lying asleep on a bed in the guest room! I quickly began getting dressed. My plan--which I assure you made perfect sense in the dream--was to leave the girl sleeping here and I'd run down the street to the house where I knew all the FBI people were waiting for us, tell them the guy was in this house, and we'd all come back and rescue the girl--and apparently just hope he wouldn't wake up and do anything to her in the meantime.

My next memory is running on foot around the strange neighborhood in the early morning light. It bore a strange resemblance to the area my grandmother lives in, but was mostly fictional. I got completely lost trying to find the house were the other cops were.

At one point I came upon a strange, solid white white house that was built in a very unusual, sort of post-modern style. It appeared to be very old. There was a white picket fence around the property, and beyond that I could see what looked like an old train yard. I was taken by surprise when a stern voice behind me asked, "What are you doing here?"

It was the owner of the property. He was an elderly black man in overalls and a straw hat. He was upset that I was in his yard, and I assured him I meant no harm but was merely trying to find so-and-so house, because my friend was in great danger. He didn't care. He wanted me off his lawn. His wife came down the front porch steps asking what was going on. And the oddest thing--I noticed there were raccoons everywhere. I thought I heard at least one of them tell me to leave as well.

I fled this place and soon found the correct house and alerted everyone to the situation with the girl and the lunatic. They quickly mobilized and headed over there, but told me to wait for them where I was.

As I waited, two little girls who apparently lived in this house wanted to play with me. They had a lot of baby dolls. I assume they were sisters, but they didn't get along very well. After a brief disapperance, one of the girls came back in the room holding a doll that had been burned beyond recognition, wrapped in a white towel. She was very calm and stoic as she blamed it on her sister.

I was incredibly creeped out. The girl dumpd the remains of the doll out on the hardwood floor. I got a trashbag and was going to try to clean it up. All the while I felt afraid to turn my back on these girls.

As I got on my knees near the charred mess something didn't look right. I touched it. It wasn't burned plastic, but burned flesh.

I woke with a start.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was quite interesting. To sleep in a dream is an interesting situation. To leave a sleeping girl and a sleeping stalker in your house is even more interesting. Some explanations come to my mind, having to do with your relation with women, but probably you were just very sleepy that night. The house of the raccoons was the intermezzo (really funny!). The scary part II could mean that you can't be a child anymore. Find an adult girl, quick (just joking).

Andrew said...

Yeah, there could be all kinds of explanations behind this weirdness.

I think a big part of it is that I had just finished reading Neil Gaiman's "Coraline" novel before sleeping. And that novel is weird and scary...

...but there's not doubt psychological stuff peppered in there as well.