Sunday, April 25, 2010

Navi, Crazy Ladies, And Scary Vets

MORNING OF APRIL 25, 2010

My dad decided he wanted to see the Avatar movie, and it was apparently still playing in a theater that we chose to go to. (For real life frame of reference, I think that movie was watchable, but ridiculously over-hyped. It offered some interesting aesthetics and little more.) When we got to the theater there was, for some reason, a long wait before the show would begin.

My mom eventually showed up to join us. This was doubly odd because not only does my mom NEVER go to a theater, but she would NEVER choose to watch a movie like Avatar under any circumstances that I can imagine.

While we were waiting for the movie to start, some woman, probably in her 40's or early 50's, approached us. She apparently was an old family friend we hadn't seen in several years. I didn't recognize her. The lady was astonished at "how I'd grown", because apparently I was still a kid or teenager the last time she'd seen me. Her reaction was more than a realistic reaction to such a thing--it's like she literally couldn't comprehend that I had grown up over the course of several years.

Then she asked me where I worked. I told her, and she just went silly. She was like, "No! Not there! That's crazy! Why there!!??" and began rolling around on the ground and kicking! There was a curtain or something on the wall, and she pulled it down and wrapped herself up in it as she rolled around in her fits. It's not as though she thought it was BAD that I worked where I did, she just, for some reason, couldn't conceive of it (believe me there's nothing hard to conceive about it). Somehow it all caused this violent reaction in her, which concerned everyone around.

At some point I noticed I had to go to the bathroom rather badly. The movie still hadn't started, so I excused myself. There was no bathroom in the theater, so I went down the street to another business. Only inside it didn't look like a business, but like a school or something. It was empty because it was supposedly the weekend. I kept trying to find the bathroom in this building and couldn't.

I ended up in a classroom that was obviously for young kids, judging by the decorations on the walls and the size of the desks and such. By this point I could no longer hold out. I had to go, and NOW. There was a sink in this empty classroom. Ashamed, I did what I had to do.

I went back to the theater. The movie still hadn't started, but now some of my friends were there, gathered around a table. They were having some kind of debate. I sat down and asked, "Aren't we supposed to be watching a movie?"

At that exact moment, the movie started playing, already in progress. The main female Navi character from Avatar (google reminds me the name was Neytiri) had a baby Navi she was carrying on her back in a sling. She was running at some sort of hyper-speed, as though being pursued. She moved so fast that she could even run across the surface of water when she came to it.

After a few moments, it became apparent that she was running across the entire surface of the earth, every ocean, every continent. It was just to show how awesome the Navi were supposed to be. Suddenly she was confronted by some supposedly evil Navi in a cloak. I woke up (not surprisingly, given earlier dream content, having to go).

There was some other dream in which my parents asked me to take our geriatric family dog, Einstein, to the local vet. I "remembered" that there was a girl (a fictional one) at this vet that I used to have a crush on, but never really had a chance to talk to.

Conveniently, I saw a TV commercial for the vet, and this girl starred in it, narrating the promotion of the clinic. It was so bright and cheery; a typical, cheesy local commercial. The girl was very pretty, though.

When I actually got to the vet with Einstein, it was a weird and scary place. It seemed to consist of narrow concrete halls painted sea green and lit by flickering fluorescent bulbs. The pretty girl from the commercial led Einey and I down one of the hallways to his room. She was very rude and stuck-up, and I couldn't believe I had thought she was so pretty. I also felt scared to leave Einey in this place.

No comments: