Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Beautiful Spacescape

MORNING OF MAY 18, 2010

I'm not a gifted enough writer to properly explain the beauty of the first dream, but I will try.

I was with a small group of people at someone's house one night. We were out in the yard when I looked up at the night sky and realized that I could see other planets in the sky--and I mean visibly detect them, like a picture in a book. They weren't just showing up as especially bright "stars" or something. It was eerily beautiful. I ran inside the house to get my camera, and I think my friend Richard joined me at this point. We went back outside to get a look.

The spacescape was now lower on the horizon and much larger. Just over the tops of a nearby row of trees we could see several colorful planets. I noted Jupiter and Saturn among them. The creamy swirls of the Milky Way were evident in strokes across the sky. It was breathtaking. We walked toward the trees and saw that, beyond them, there was a very steep drop into a deep valley.

Nestled in this valley was a giant carnival. Tents, Ferris wheels, and everything you'd expect to see at a carnival and more.You could hear the faint, cheerful sounds of calliope music on the air. It was extremely bright and colorful, as was the bright planetary array in the sky above it. I remember gasping that "it looks like something out of a Pixar movie!".

Though the beauty of the scene overwhelmed it, there was beneath it a slight feeling of dread. Something just didn't feel right, seeing a scene this surreal in what I believed at the time to be real life. And that's probably why this was about the time I woke up.

I tell you, I thought of these dream scene several times throughout the day today, and it's brought a peace to me.

In a later dream I remember trying to pick out a birthday card for someone. I'd first picked out a funny-but-rather-generic card. Then I noticed they had cards based on the "LOST" TV show. Each card featured cartoon depictions of the various characters. For some reason I chose one with cartoon Jack and Kate riding a horse as they fled the "Smoke Monster".

No comments: