Friday, May 21, 2010

Spicy Corn, Spilled Milk & Spotting Intruders

MORNING OF MAY 21, 2010

I was at some sort of restaurant with my parents. We were seated at a long table with several other people. I don't think we knew everyone around us--it was as if this restaurant just filled big tables with random customers.

One young man across from me looked to be in his early twenties. He was very skinny, had a mustache, wore a baseball cap, and generally had a sort of "white trash" vibe to him. He ordered an ear of "spicy corn". When the waitress brought it to him, it looked like someone had already eaten a few of the kernels off the cob. This wasn't the case, however, as it was explained to me that the "half-eaten" look was just how it came out when they made the corn "spicy" like this kind apparently was.

I watched as the guy dug into his corn. While he sloppily (and rather grossly) chowed down, a Dwight Yoakam song began to play over the restaurant's speakers. The corn-dude began to try to sing along, spewing corn everywhere as he did. It was awkward and disgusting, all at once.

Later I remember a dream in which I was at what looked like my grandmother's house. I was eating cold cereal at the kitchen table. I dripped a few splotches of milk from the bowl or spoon onto the table. When I made to wipe them up after I was through eating, the mess was improbably large. Instead of looking like a few drops of milk, there was a large puddle of milk and cereal on the table, almost as if the whole bowl had been spilled.

Finally, I remember my parents were going on a trip somewhere and they asked me to take care of their dog, Einstein. But for some reason we we all ended up just taking him and dropping him off at the home of a family friend instead.

I stayed at the friend's home with Einey for a little while to help him get acclimated. At the same time, the family friend received visitors and went to entertain them in another room. I inadvertently overheard the visitors (a snooty-seeming middle-aged couple) berating Einstein and telling our friend they couldn't' believe she'd have such an animal in her home.

Around this time, Einstein got away from me and went running off around the house (at his age in real life he does little running to anywhere, but it didn't seem to hamper him in the dream). I followed him to what looked like maybe a dining room, but all the lights were out and it was very dark.

I heard a bump in the dark room and assumed it was Einstein, but soon I noticed it was a man wearing a "hoodie" jacket and holding a knife. I started so bad I woke up.

No comments: