Tuesday, May 4, 2010

President Obama the Art Critic and Batgirl Merchandise)

MORNING OF MAY 4, 2010

I was at my job, but I was working on a personal art project with my cartoon characters. President Obama and his entourage showed up. He was touring the station and for some reason I just stayed put, working on my comics.

Eventually he entered the room where I was and began looking at what I was doing and expressing great interest. I gave him one of my cards with my website info on it, and a copy of the "Jennifer & Bueno" art book from a couple of years ago. He asked a lot of questions and seemed really eager to check out more of my work. I figured he was just being fake and politician-like in his expressed interest, but it still was cool that the President of the U.S. said nice things about my crappy comics.

There was another dream in which I was was in some sort of comic or pop-culture-heavy store. I saw a really cool Batgirl T-shirt that I wanted. It's hard to describe the image here, except that it was a more classic version of Batgirl with just sort of a nondescript, design-y background. I really loved the style of art in which she was drawn here.

There was also a statuette in the store featuring several Batman characters. It was actually several little statuettes, each depicting different scenes, but all connected together. It was supposedly titled something like, "The Batman Family Through the Years".

The first statuette was of the very early Batman and Robin. Each subsequent one had Batman, Robin, Batgirl, and other characters as they appeared over the decades. I remember one statue had Batgirl tied to railroad tracks. Another had Nightwing, from the era in which he apparently wore a bright red suit.

Even though I don't closely follow superhero comics these days, I guess the Batman characters still hold a place in my heart, and I found myself really wanting this statue. Naturally, being of such size and detail the price was way out of my range (around $300, I think).

No comments: