Thursday, June 5, 2008

The Poorly Executed Prank

MORNING OF JUNE 5, 2008

Another dream featuring characters from the U.S. version of The Office TV show. I was with Jim and Pam and Dwight and it was supposed to be very late on a Friday night. Jim had cooked up an elaborate prank for the three of us to play on Dwight that began with tricking him
into coming back to the office with us (only "the office" in this instance was the Dunder Mifflin warehouse--or something like it).

Somehow we had convinced him he had to go into the building to check on something that had been left unattended, and we were going to lock him in for the night and leave. But it ended up that we all followed him into the building for a moment and the door closed behind us and locked us all in together.

We tried to make the best of it. I have vague memories of just hanging out in the big, empty building with the three others. Mostly Jim and I talked, because Dwight was mad and huffy once he found out about the prank, and Pam was a little mad that we'd been locked in for the whole night.

At some point Pam found a mother cat and kittens hiding away in the building. I remember seeing one of those cutaway interview clips like are used in the show with her seated at a table, playing with the cats as she said something like, "Yeah...this is not really what I expected to be doing with my Friday night when Jim told me we had a date..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you are getting money from NBC seeing as they have invaded your subconscious.


(all rhetorical of course)

Does this show parallel your own life? I know that when I used to work as a 3D animator/modeler- I would dream in CGI- sometimes with the program's interface available-so that I could change things around.


If you work in an office- are there people in your daily life that resemble these characters? and what of the kittens? Do you know any pregnant friends?

Andrew said...

I don't work in the same type of office as is depicted in the show, but I do have both current and past coworkers that I relate to characters on the show.

And there have at times been certain story lines on the show that seemed to strangely parallel my own life in their own way.

I think the fact that I do relate parts of it to my life may have some part in explaining its regular appearance in my dreams, but I also think it's partly that I just really love the show. And it's just about the only serialized entertainment I currently partake in. So whereas I may really love a book I'm reading, or a movie I see, the characters come and go at once. But these characters currently stick with me week after week after week.

I'm not sure about the kittens. No one I know (of any species) is pregnant. I have an idea that if the pregnancy/birth was poignant in this case, it was for the symbolic meaning instead of the literal.