Monday, June 2, 2008

That Hideous Noise

MORNING OF JUNE 2, 2008

I dreamed that I woke up in bed in the middle of the night. I was in the bedroom I had as a teenager (the whole house was that house), but that was of no notice in the dream. Even though it's been some years since I had a TV in my bedroom, my little TV was in this bedroom just as it used to be. I couldn't go back to sleep, so I turned it on and flipped through the channels a bit.

I saw a moment of some info-mercial for some kind of device that you could plug into your wall outlets to make them better. I also caught a few minutes of some cheesy, live-action kids program. I thought it was odd that this sort of kids show was on in the middle of the night.

I turned the TV off and was going to try to go back to sleep. Suddenly, in the darkness, I heard the most horrible sound. It seemed like it was coming from downstairs. I can't describe it except to say that it was a high-pitched and nasally moan. It had almost the tone of a kazoo, although it was definitely organic in origin. (The kazoo reference is really flawed, because that makes it sound silly, but it was anything but silly-sounding in the dream).

This long, drawn-out nasally moan came once...then a second time. I was freaking out because I couldn't think of what it was! Given this was my teenage home in the dream, I first wondered if one of my parents were injured downstairs. Then I wondered if something far more sinister might be the source. At any rate, I scared myself awake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's terrifying

when did you realize you were actually dreaming?

waking up in the middle of the night is disorienting

Andrew said...

I never realized I was dreaming within the dream--I only realized it when I woke with a start to the sound of my heart trying desperately to escape my chest.