Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Wicked Disappointment

MORNING OF MARCH 8, 2009

In real life some friends and I will be seeing the Broadway musical, Wicked, in April when it comes to our area. In my dream it was the night of the play and we were on our way to attend. We learned, however, that the venue had changed. It was somewhere near my grandmother's house!

I didn't know where there was a place to stage a play in that area, and was concerned as to what the quality of the event would be after we'd paid so dearly to go.

So we arrived at my grandmother's house, and several other people were there, including my parents and other family members. Of course I had "forgotten about" this huge, beautiful garden area that was apparently in my grandmother's back yard. There was also a huge outdoor stage area with lots of nice stadium seating. It was a crystal clear night, perfect for a show.

While having read the novel a couple of times, I've never at any point seen the musical yet, so when it began in the dream, it was just a totally fictional play based loosely on the first scene in the book. I can vaguely remember a lot of increasingly weird things happening in the play that began to really confuse me. The overall quality was more like a good college production than a Broadway one (possibly because last weekend we saw a top-notch college production of Sweeney Todd).

Things suddenly became a blur, and the next I remember the play was ending, and my friends and I got up to leave. I was complaining that Elphaba was hardly ever in the play at all, and there had been no Galinda/Glinda whatsoever! And I thought the play supposedly focused mainly on their relationship! What about their years at Shiz? And Dorothy? The witches demise? Nothing even mentioned!

My friends explained to me that all of these things and more had been amply covered. Where had I been? I suddenly figured out that I had "fallen asleep" for the majority of the play without realizing it and missed almost the entire thing!

This frustrated me greatly, but then I suddenly remembered that we weren't supposed to see the play until April, and it was only March now, so I'd have a nother chance to see it next month.

There was some other dream I had last night regarding the characters from the Watchmen comic/movie (I saw the movie last night). I can't remember the exact specifics, except that they were on the news and were real people. I think I even saw one or more of them in person, but the memory is far too vague for me to try to write any more about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

a beautiful garden sounds nice
so did the cast stay for sandwiches and tea at your grandmother's?

Andrew said...

The garden was very nice indeed. I have no memory of what happened after the play other than my disappointment and having slept through it.

Anonymous said...

What a nightmare! Let's hope you won't fall asleep during your "second chance" to see the play.