Saturday, May 9, 2009

Dirty Thieves, Crooked Men, & Reference Material

MORNING OF MAY 9, 2009

Really this is more of potpourri of dream clips than a single coherent story.

First, for some reason I lived with my parents in a huge house. We came home to realize our the house had been broken into while we were gone. The thieves had not actually taken anything, but somehow we knew they had "scanned" every item of value with a device that told them it's worth and stored it's location in memory, so they could come back later at their convenience and actually remove what they wanted.

I went to my room in the house (which was, apparently, as big as an apartment itself) to see if they had scanned any of my stuff. They had left a folder full of adult magazines on the floor in front of my TV. I realized one of them had Amy Adams in it. I felt a little disappointed that she had "stooped so low"...nonetheless I promptly forgot my original concern about the thieves plotting to steal my stuff.

Next I remember in what looked like a fictional, aging apartment complex. All of the apartment buildings were arranged in a tight circle around a tiny lawn. There were a series of rickety wooden bridges running between the upper story apartments, criss-crossing with tree limbs and everything. It was actually pretty neat looking.

I was hiding on one of this bridges, looking down on what looked like some kind of birthday party taking place on the lawn below. One of the people there was a portly, balding old man in a wife-beater tee, shorts, and socks. I somehow knew the man was a bad person, and I was keeping tabs on him, but I can't remember the reasons why.

Finally, in real life I saw the new Star Trek movie last night. As I lay in bed later, I was thinking that I needed to draw a "Jennifer & Bueno" Star Trek spoof, in keeping with the summer movie spoof series I'm doing. The last thing I remember before sleeping is settling on the idea for exactly what the spoof would be...

...so in the dream I'm walking through this room that looks like the deck of the Starship Enterprise. I was looking at the captain's chair (central to the idea for my Jenn & Bueno spoof), and I took out a sketchbook and began sketching how it looked, for use as a reference for when I did the illustration later. Some guy came up to me and told me to move along, as I was holding up the "line" by standing there drawing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wacky and strange
somewhat pedestrian

the guy in the wife-beater
creeps me out:)

Andrew said...

The guy in the wife beater would creep anyone out! Trust me.