Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Sinking Ship Disaster

MORNING OF DECEMBER 11, 2010

In my first memory, I am on a cruise ship. I have never actually been on board one, so the dream environment is based on ships in movies, and is most especially comparable to the Titanic.

I was in a long line of people were standing single file against a wall in one of the hallways. There was obviously some kind of emergency and we'd been told to wait here for further instruction. A woman around my age was in front of me in the line, and we talked for a bit about our mutual fears of whatever danger we were in.

But I really had to go to the bathroom. An official let me step out of line and go do that, but then I returned to my place. Now, instead of being fictional, the woman in front of me was an ex girlfriend. We resumed talking and began to catch up with each other.

During this time we learned the danger was the fact that the ship was sinking. As my ex and I sat and talked, the hallway gradually began to tilt at an angle, with the part of the ship ahead of us going down and the part behind us tilting up. Even as this slow-yet-terrifying process continued, my ex and I were still talking.

We began to make amends for things in the past. I think neither of us really wanted to be back together, but it felt good to be able to "bury the hatchet".

Eventually, I had to pee again. This time there was a row of port-a-potties lines up against one of the walls near us. I went into one. By now the ship was sinking very deeply so the hallway--and indeed the port-a-potties--were tilted at an extreme angle. This made my business very daunting.

I returned to my place in line again, and my ex and I continued to talk. The lights went out. You could hear the sound of creaking metal, things breaking, and fellow passengers crying and praying.

In my next memory, my ex and I are running through the cabin where I was staying on the ship. It looked a lot like the bedroom I had as a teenager, but it was slanting and falling apart with the ship. I remember finding a model of something that looked like a "steampunk" version of Garfield, and a Curious George comic book was on the floor. It made me wonder how many kids were on the sinking ship.

After this, we ran outside, and were no longer on the ship but were coming out of the a building in the middle of a city late at night. Even though the sinking ship no longer factored in, there was still imminent danger. This is because the city was under attack from some sort of apparently alien force. They were giant and robotic--I remember thinking they looked like the "Transformers" in the movies.

The city was mostly on fire, and destruction was raining down. My ex and I saw a car parked in a driveway and jumped in. But instead of using it to attempt to drive to safety, we just huddled and cowered in the back seat. As though this car would offer and protection against the outside carnage, were it to make its way to our exact location.

Somehow, in what were probably our last moments, we began to make out. But we had only just started when suddenly a group of people in HazMat/bio-hazard suits approached the car. They told us to get out and ushered us to safety in a nearby garage.

Safely inside the garage, the bio-hazard suits came off and to reveal a rag-tag group of survivors, the leader of whom looked like Rob Lowe. Only the Rob Lowe dude was flamboyantly gay. They gave us the tour of the garage, which was outfitted to look like a beauty salon/barber shop.

The Rob Lowe character was explaining to us his master plan--when society begins to rebuild itself, people would need to get haircuts! Around this time, I woke up. I REALLY had to go to the bathroom. The end.

No comments: