Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Already Time For Another Film Festival

MORNING OF SEPTEMBER 28, 2011

In real life there is an independent film festival held in the late summer or fall each year in nearby Birmingham. This year's festival happened about a month ago, but in my dream, I was once again attending the opening night festivities.

Instead of the Alabama Theatre, where the opening night movie is really screened, this event was taking place at the house of an ex girlfriend. There was an impossible number or folding chairs, neatly arranged into row after row. At the front of the room was a rather small analog TV set. Once the crowds packed in, the TV showed "It's a Wonderful Life". (The same theatre that really shows some of the festival films also screens this movie around Christmas time each year, so the things sort of have a correlation, as random as it sounds).

As I sat in my seat and watched, it suddenly hit me that it seemed like I had only just attended the film festival. How could it already be happening again? Had it already been a year? The fact that a year had passed really bothered me--though it never seemed strange to me that all of this was taking place in the home of my ex.

My last memory is of my ex and I talking about something off in one corner while the movie still played.

No comments: