Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Early Morning Cityscape

MORNING OF SEPTEMBER 15, 2011

This isn't a very action-packed dream, but every single moment in it was extremely vivid, even more so than usual.

Early one morning I was getting ready to leave the apartment for the day. For some reason a CD I used to love as a teenager in the 90's popped into my head. I actually wanted to hear it again. It's not on my iPod or in my iTunes library (in real life or in the dream), and I certainly didn't want to dig around trying to find where the old CD actually was.

I remember looking through the closet in the bedroom I actually had as a teenager, trying to find something to wear. I kept seeing old shirts and thinking, "Wow, I thought I donated those to the thrift store ages ago--I really need to clean this closet!"

My next memory is being a passenger in Eric's car as we were driving in downtown Birmingham in the early, predawn hours. Driving up a big hill, we had a perfect view of the Birmingham cityscape, still lit up in the relative darkness that remained in the sky. The scene was beautiful, but what made it strange is that several blimp-sized pig balloons were floating at random places about the city. Not pig balloons like that Pink Floyd thing--these were more spherical, almost like the "Angry Birds" pigs in shape, but not in exact appearance.

We could see a large football down below as we continued driving up the steep hill. There was a large inflatable football stadium replica in the middle of the actual football field. I recognized in the dream that the city of Birmingham had supposedly placed this there as a promotion for the actual sports stadium they'd like to build one day.

Of to the side, in a portion of the football field not taken up by the giant inflatable, were a group of people playing Quidditch. Not the literal, magic sport of Quidditch that the wizards play in the Harry Potter world, but the real-life adaptation you hear of some groups of people actually playing.

Next we arrived at a fast food restaurant where we met up with our friends Courtney and Melissa (each of whom lives out of state now). We were all standing in line waiting to place an order for breakfast, and I was telling the girls about having seen the Quidditch players before. Then I went on to talk about the time I played a game of Quidditch like that--which I've never actually done, but seemed to "remember" in the dream.

No comments: