Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Hopping Humbug

MORNING OF APRIL 1, 2009

Over the past couple of days I've been re-reading, for the first time since childhood, one of my favorite books from said childhood, The Phantom Tollbooth. I read in it just before bed this night.

I was dreaming that the Humbug character was out in a fairly desolate terrain, like a desert, or some rocky plain. He was jumping up and down on a large rock while announcing something. Suddenly, a loud siren went off and scared him, causing him to loose his footing as he jumped. It scared me, too (I was apparently part of the scene).

I woke up to find the severe weather siren was blaring at 1:30am, announcing a Severe Thunderstorm Warning (the only storm that ever came was of the regular variety). I wasn't able to go back to sleep for hours. And this is a pointless dream to even write about, I know...but I so enjoyed the imagery of the Humbug leaping up and down on that rock that I wanted to make record of it for my own sake at least. So there.

No comments: