Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A Foul Concoction

MORNING OF DECEMBER 8, 2009

This is the first of two dreams I remember from this night. The second is posted separately...

My first memory is that I was at what looked to be some sort of beach side cafe with outdoor dining. It was a beautiful day and I somehow ended up talking to a young couple about my age. I didn't much care for them, getting the vibe that they were sort of the shallow and superficial sort--at least they looked and acted the part.

There was a drink bar and somehow the three of us ended up seated at it. The couple ordered drinks, including one for me. I tried to tell them that I don't drink, but they ordered something anyway. The bartender was a cute girl, and she handed me the beverage, which looked like a clear, waxy substance with all sorts of colored herbs or something in it. Not very appetizing, to say the least.

The bar girl silently and covertly signaled to me that I shouldn't drink the drink. I didn't intend to drink it anyway, but was curious as to what this girl knew that made her feel like she should caution me. My curiosity finally made me take a tiny sip of the drink, and it was nasty. It tasted like cough syrup laced with jalapeno sauce. Even the tiny taste I'd taken made me want to vomit. When I was certain the couple who ordered it for me weren't looking, I poured it all out.

Then, suddenly, it's as if I'm watching this all as a movie, and the whole scene I'd just "experienced" was actually just a memory of this man in the movie. He was now middle-aged and was talking to his wife about the event. He lamented openly to his wife that he didn't ever ask out the cute girl at the bar who'd warned him of the drink. I think he was played by Seth Rogen, even though this character was middle aged.

No comments: