Friday, December 4, 2009

Mario Game Becomes Reality

MORNING OF DECEMBER 4, 2009

A small group of friends and I were staying together in a large house. Basically it felt as though we were on some sort of vacation, and were rooming here as opposed to a hotel or something. Some of us were playing a "Mario" video game of some sort (I imagine it was fictional, though probably inspired in my head by recent commercials and such for the new Super Mario Bros. game on the Wii).

I departed the room where the games were being played and walked into one of the bedrooms. A girl was standing beside one of the beds, folding items from a load of laundry that was piled up on top of it. The girl looked to me sort of like a real life version of Princess Peach, but in normal clothes as opposed to the fluffy princess garb.

Never ceasing her laundry folding, "Peach" proceeded to explain to me how this whole house was the real version of the Mario game they were playing on the TV in the other room. She told me there were "sides", and I could choose my friends side or I could choose her side. If I did not choose her side, I'd have to fight her right now, but if I did, she'd help me fight my friends, assuring me she had the power to guarantee her victory in either case. (This all had a very non-threatening feel to it--I knew it was just part of a game somehow).

I was tempted to join forces with "Peach", but I got the vibe that her side was the wrong side, so I refused. She got angry, the clothes she was wearing all turned black, and the whole bedroom began to change in appearance as to indicate that I had entered some video game level in which we were about to do combat.

Dreams like this are especially odd when one considers how very seldom I play actual video games. I guess I'm just that thoroughly steeped in nerd culture. Or have some untapped need to play more video games.

No comments: