Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Fool's Errand

MORNING OF DECEMBER 1, 2009
A group of friends and I had gone to see the touring Broadway show, Avenue Q. Though I've seen the show in real life with friends, the friends in my dream were mostly ones who haven't actually seen the show yet. I vaguely remember watching a portion of the show, and then it stopped for intermission.

I got a call on my cell phone and realized I had to go take care of something (I don't recall what). I can remember explaining to my friends what was happening as we stood out in the parking lot of the auditorium. For some reason my vehicle in the dream was a pickup truck, which I used to drive "all the way back home", which, in the dream, I pictured as being about the same length drive as my daily commute to work (a half hour or so).

I was back in my apartment, sitting in the kitchen floor, compiling some sort of papers or something, which I guess is the task I had been called to do during intermission. Somehow I ended up sweeping up a pile of scraps and trash that were in the floor, trying to shape them into a sculpture, and photographing it.

Suddenly it occurred to me that the intermission to the show would only have been about 10 or 15 minutes, so I had totally missed the rest of it. I even consciously realized in the dream that the "thirty minute" drive I had made to get home was in itself too long for me to have logically attempted it to begin with. I began to wish I had postponed this errand until after the event.

No comments: