Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Updating Old Comics

MORNING OF JULY 13, 2010

For anyone who doesn't follow my cartoons and comics but ends up reading this dream, I'm afraid it will be of little use. But I'm transcribing it anyway, because I enjoyed it.

In real life, I have sadly not used my characters, Fatback & Skinny McLean, with much frequency since the early 2000's. Prior to that, they had been a regular staple in some form or other for years. In my dream last night, I had decided to bring them back in a big way.

I began be re-posting a few classics from years past (though most of the "classics" in the dream were just fictional). One of them was a two or three page short comic. I can't remember the topic, but I remember the final panel (a large, 3/4 page panel) featured an analog television set behind Fatback. Seeing that, it struck me just how much has changed in society in only the past few years.

I decided, before re-posting this old cartoon, that I would enhance it a bit. With Photoshop, I would add art to the currently blank TV screen, to make it look like something was airing. I decided to make it look like a commercial for HD TV:, COMING SOON! I noticed the old TV was also visible in an earlier panel in the comic and added a commercial on the screen warning about Y2K!

For some reason my dream-self was very amused by going back after the fact and adding "prophetic" technology references to the old comic.

No comments: